Resource Based Analysis
You are to undertake a Resource Based Analysis of an organisation with which you are familiar. As part of this analysis you should use appropriate tools and frameworks to identify and evaluate the extent to which your chosen organisation has a sustainable competitive advantage.
All assignments should:
• Explain and assess the importance of capabilities and how they contribute to the competitive advantage of the organisation.
• Identify and analyse your selected organisation’s resources and capabilities.
• Use a variety of tools and frameworks to evaluate strategic capability (Value Chains, Balanced Scorecard, Benchmarking, Ratio analysis, VRIN)
The student will demonstrate an excellent grasp of the theories, principles and concepts and will appropriately integrate these to develop and support key issues. Major issues and some less obvious ones will have been identified. There will be evidence of wider reading around the issues. A range of appropriate tools of analysis will be applied to the company/case and information to support the development of fundamental issues. The analysis of the company /case will be critical and thorough, and there will be a good integration of theory and practice. Strong persuasive arguments will be developed which lead to rational conclusions. Resulting recommendations will be appropriate, justifiable and practical. In addition students will have demonstrated originality and creativity to the recommendations.
Link Module Objectives / Learning Outcomes and demonstrate how the proposed assessment(s) meet these objectives.
Upon successful completion of this module students should be able to:
? Critically identify key theoretical principles of the internal capability of organisations.
? Analyse and evaluate individual and interrelated elements of internal capability within various organisational contexts.
? Synthesise and critically reflect in order to make recommendations for the development and management of capability in organisations.
Rationale of assessment
The assessment links with the module learning outcomes by asking candidates to:
• Identify, Research and evaluate a company /case.
• Understand and evaluate the general theories and concepts relating to Managing Capabilities and apply tools and techniques.
• Apply and integrate theory in a practical application of the core concepts
• Communicate effectively the said analysis and recommendations in a logical and structured manner
• Apply knowledge through creative strategic solutions
Essentially the purpose of the assessment is to help the students to understand the process involved in analysing and evaluating capabilities in a realistic context and `environment.
ADDITIONAL USEFUL TEXTBOOKS THAT MIGHT HELP IN COMPLETION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Grant, R. (2011). Contemporary Strategy Analysis (7th ed), Wiley
Reading and Additional resources:
Barney, J. (2008) Resource Based Theory, Oxford University Press.
Barney, J. (2008). Gaining and Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Prentice Hall.
Barney, J & Hesterley, W.S. (2008). Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage (2nd ed), Pearson
Collins, J ( 2002) Built to Last, Harper Collins
Collins, J (2009) How the Mighty Fall, Harper Collins
Helfat, C (ed) (2007). Dynamic Capabilities, Blackwell Publishing,
Jenster, P. Hussey, D (2001) Company Analysis: Determining Strategic Capability, Wiley.
Salaman, G. Asch, D. (2003) Strategy and Capability – Sustaining Organisational Change, Blackwell.
Useful Journal Articles
Hamel, G. Prahalad, C.K. (1990) The Core Competence of the Corporation. Harvard Business Review, vol , 68, no 3 , pp79-91.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂