Woo, T. M., & Robinson, M.V. (2016). Pharmacotherapeutics for Nurse
Practitioner Prescribers. (4th Ed.) Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Company. ISBN 978-
Unit II: Pharmacotherapeutics with Single Drugs
Ch. 19-Drugs Affecting the Immune System
Ch. 20-Drugs Affecting the GI System •Unit II: Read/Review Chapters 19 & 20
•Discussion Forum Posting of Complete Case Studies # 5 & 6
Case Study #5-Drugs Affecting the Immune System
Jose is a 2-month old infant who comes to the clinic today for his well-child checkup and immunizations. He and all of his family members are healthy. He was a term baby.
1. What immunizations does Jose need today? You would write these as an order in the chart rather than as a prescription. Write a complete order for each immunization.
2. What guidelines would you use to determine his immunizations?
3. What education would you provide the parent?
4. What is the follow-up plan?
Total Posts: 0 Unread Posts: 0 Total Participants: 0
Case Study #6-Drugs Affecting the GI System
Ms. Leah Thompson is a 47-year-old patient who comes in today complaining of heartburn that is no longer responding to TUMS and Mylanta. She complains of heartburn especially after lunch and dinner. She recently lost her job as a bookkeeper for an auto parts store that went out of business. She is stressed, as she is a single parent to two “bright kids” who are “college material.” She does not know how she will afford college tuition, but she is determined to make it possible for them. She denies melena or bloody stools and nausea or vomiting. She has gained about 22 pounds in the past 2 years. She has been working overtime as much as possible and has found very little time for exercising. She has no past medical history of heart disease, diabetes, or ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease. She has a normal complete blood count and has normal vital signs. You diagnose her with gastroesophageal reflux disease.
1. What is the appropriate medicaiton to prescribe?
2. What education regarding the prescription does Ms. Thompson need?