You are to assume the position of HRM consultant advising the Excelsia International Hotel and Leisure Group based in the United States of America. Although they are well established in the USA, they have no operational experience anywhere else. But this is about to change, as the company is planning a ten year expansion into the EU and beyond. Their first requirement is to gather strategic information regarding employment conditions, expectations and legislation within the hotels and leisure industry in other continents.
Compile a business report of 2,750 (+/- 10%) words, providing Excelsia management with a strategic overview of employment conditions in at least one EU country and one non-EU country of your choice.
Sample Reference Materials relating to employment in the Hotels and Leisure Industry in the EU (available on Moodle), to be used in addition to course references:
o Ascoli, A. (et al.) (2008). CMS Guide to Principal Hotels – Specific Laws in Europe and China. (Summer)
o Various national contributors (2012). Employment and industrial relations in the hotels and restaurants sector. European Foundation for the Improvement in Living and Working Conditions Available at: www.eurofound.europa.eu
o The Hospitality Sector in Europe: An assessment of the economic contribution of the hospitality sector across 31 countries. (2013). A report by Ernst & Young commissioned by The Brewers of Europe with support from HOTREC (Summer).
o Will recruiting younger workers soon become a thing of the past? People 1st Available at: www.people1st.co.uk
You will be expected to demonstrate that you:
1. Are familiar with and able to critically review the relevant literature on international HRM, international/global management and intercultural working.
2. Have a critical understanding of the context differences (social, economic, political, legal, historical, and so on) that impact on employment practices and workplace organisation and relationships in the countries you are examining.
4. Have understood the implications of any such differences for management decision making and IHRM practice.
Learning Outcome Assessed
The learning outcomes being assessed are:
1. The implications for and impact on HRM practice of differing international economic/business factors, regulations, and social & political influences
2. The concept of national culture and its implications for international HRM practice.
3. Specific human resource management processes and practices in European and other international countries, including international recruitment and selection, expatriation practice international reward and compensation, comparative performance management, comparative learning and development and leadership practice.
The paper should be around 2,750 words (+/- 10%) in length plus references and any appendices.
Any penalties for not complying with word limits will be in accordance with University and Faculty policy.
This assignment must be submitted as an electronic copy via the module web by 23.55 pm on or before the above deadline (See instructions on module web).
All work submitted after the submission deadline without an approved valid reason (see below) will be given a mark of zero. (This is not the same as a non-submission, as a late submission counts as an attempt and a mark of zero may allow you to resit the coursework.).
Short deferrals (extensions) of up to three calendar weeks can only be given for genuine “force majeure” and medical reasons, not for bad planning of your time. Please note that theft, loss, or failure to keep a back-up file, are not valid reasons. The short deferral must be applied for on or before the submission date. You can apply for a short deferral by submitting an Examination/ Coursework Deferral Application Form. Application Forms along with the supporting evidence should go to the email@example.com .
Students MUST keep a copy and/or an electronic file of their assignment.
The electronic version of your assignment may be used to enable checks to be made using anti-plagiarism software and approved plagiarism checking websites.
Assessment Criteria and Marking Scheme
The paper will be assessed out of 100 marks using the criteria on the pro-forma attached.
You will need to demonstrate the ability to:
• Write a clear Introduction which identifies the issues within the context of the assigned IHRM question and, from this to demonstrate a logical structure and layout for the paper (10 marks)
• Critically review the relevant literature and its implications for the aspect of IHRM discussed (30 marks)
• Critically discuss the pertinent issues, grounded in the literature, relevant to the assigned question (35 marks)
• Draw meaningful conclusions from this critical analysis and make any appropriate recommendations for IHRM (15 marks)
• Structure and present the discussion in a clear, logical and coherent way, and correctly reference all published material included in the paper (10 marks)
Return of Marked Work
Marks will be uploaded onto the module web and returned via reception 2 weeks after the submission date.
PLAGIARISM WARNING! – Assignments should not be copied in part or in whole from any other source, except for any marked up quotations, that clearly distinguish what has been quoted from your own work. All references used must be given, and the specific page number used should also be given for any direct quotations, which should be in inverted commas. Students found copying from the internet or other sources will get zero marks and may be excluded from the university.
Please make sure that your ID number and the module number appear on the actual coursework assignment as well as on the cover sheet that you attach to it. (but don’t put your name for individual assignments as marking is anonymous)
For large modules with multiple seminars your Seminar Group or Tutor’s name must be clearly shown, to ensure that your assignment goes to the correct person for marking. (Put the class day and time if you cannot remember tutor’s name)
Place this order with us and get 18% discount now! to earn your discount enter this code: special18 If you need assistance chat with us now by clicking the live chat button.