Integrating Solutions – Instructions
Write a 5-page analysis of information management solutions to be integrated into the following facility:
Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas.
• Competency: Manage how information is secured within a health care setting.
o Analyze how information management can be integrated within the health care organization.
Competency: Manage how information is utilized within a health care setting.
o Analyze the return of investment for new technologies.
o Analyze the quality of care improvement for new technologies.
o Analyze how various payment systems work.
Competency: Integrate information management within the health care organization.
o Analyze how electronic data interchange works in a health care setting.
Competency: Analyze common technological solutions in health care information management.
o Recommend strategies for implementing change management.
o Explain recommendations for educating employees when integrating changing technologies.
Medical coding, payment methodologies, and reimbursement are all important parts of the administrative part of managing a health care setting.
As technology evolves, the methodologies for managing information also evolve.
The term managed care can be quite broad in its definition. Simply stated, these techniques are focused on reducing the cost of health care
while increasing the quality of the care. In practice, there have been both successes and failures in this area.
Storing and managing information electronically is a critical aspect in health care. The benefits of using electronic management methods include
the fact that more authorized professionals can access the information when needed, and the information can be updated quickly and stored
effectively. Not to mention that it saves space!
It is important to investigate health information that can be accessed online. What are the benefits and risks of the general population being
able to access this information quickly? How does this affect the health care industry as a whole? How does it affect the people who use these
• CMS.gov. (n.d.). Electronic billing and EDI transactions. Retrieved from
• EDI Support Services. (n.d.). EDI Support Services. Retrieved from http://www.edissweb.com/
• HCPLive. (2014). American Journal of Managed Care. Retrieved from http://www.ajmc.com/
• CMS.gov. (n.d.). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services. Retrieved from http://www.cms.gov/
• American Health Information Management Association. (2014). Journal of AHIMA. Retrieved from http://journal.ahima.org/
• HIMSS Media. (2014). Healthcare IT news. Retrieved from http://www.healthcareitnews.com/
The health care organization will work with its chosen information management vendor to integrate an effective solution to the needs that have
been identified. Suppose you have selected a vendor, you may use the Johnson Contractors, Incorporated media piece (PDF will be sent in separate
email) as a basic example of a vendor.
To prepare for this assessment, use other sources to research the following topics:
• The process for integrating a new system into a health care organization, including payment systems and electronic data interchange.
• Strategies for implementing change management, including the associated training and development needs of departments and employees.
• The ongoing support, development, and quality indicators of a successful integration.
• The return on investment (ROI) a health care organization might expect from implementing a new information management system, including
the impact on quality of care. Find examples where patient data, surveys, and research were used to demonstrate improved outcomes and results.
Write a 5-page analysis of the solutions to be integrated into the health care facility. Address the following:
• Analyze how the new system would be integrated into the health organization.
o Explain how various payment systems would be part of the solution.
o Analyze how electronic data interchange works.
Recommend strategies for implementing change management.
o Explain the training and development needs of departments when integrating changing technologies.
o Include recommendations for educating employees.
o Recommend ongoing support, development, and quality indicators for successful integration.
Analyze the return on investment (ROI) the health care organization might expect from implementing the new information management
o Plan how you would work with leadership, finance, and IT teams to determine ROI success.
o You are not expected to calculate the return on investment, but to analyze how the investment would benefit the health care organization
and outweigh the money spent.
o Analyze the improvement in the quality of care due to the use of the new technology.
o Identify how patient data, surveys, and research would be used to identify the improved outcomes and results.
Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting. Include a title page and a
Length: 5 typed and double-spaced pages, excluding the title and references pages.
Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
Research: Use a minimum of 6 credible sources. Five or more should be from the Required Resources list above.