1. Consider the Mundubbera Geologic Map in Module 4.1. Explain why the regions have been highlighted and what
it means to the linear fence diagram appearing below the map.
2. Identify what information you need to develop an accurate potentiometric surface map.
3. Using the Case Study: Regional Flow Systems in the Coastal Zone of the Southeastern United States (Fetter,
pp255-262), write a 200-word summary of this Case Study. What effect do you believe saltwater intrusion from
the Gulf of Mexico might have on groundwater extraction in the vicinity of the Tampa- St Petersburg region on
the west coast of Florida?
4. In approximately 200 words, discuss how artificial recharge could be used to prevent saltwater intrusion
along any coastline where over-extraction of groundwater has become a problem.
5. Discuss how you might use hydrographs to estimate the safe yield of an aquifer. (2 marks)
Part b Groundwater Desktop Investigation
Conduct a groundwater desktop investigation by applying a range of theoretical concepts taught in the topic
An unconfined aquifer consisting of a well-sorted sand is bordered by the ocean to the east, a river to the
north, and granite (no flow) to